Tuesday 10 May 2016

Why am I getting Jaw Surgery?

A lot of people have asked me questions regarding my surgery and each question has too long an answer to tell them there and then. So, I decided to create a blog post for each of the major questions that I get asked on a pretty regular basis.

First things first, I think I should clarify that Jaw Surgery is a  corrective, reconstructive procedure - NOT plastic or cosmetic surgery, as 70% of the people who I tell, assume.

Needless to say, having any form of disfigurement, especially a facial one, is difficult. Aside from giving me my self-confidence and esteem issues, my jaw causes me physical problems such as talking, eating, biting and smiling and it has done for years.

When I was 7 years old, I had severe overcrowding in my mouth and I had my first hospital experience, where I had two teeth removed under a general anesthetic -  meaning I was put to sleep for the duration of the operation.
Then at around 11 years old, I had braces fitted for the first time to my upper teeth. I only had these appliances on for 10-11 months, as my teeth rearranged themselves quite quickly. However, once they were removed and I was given my retainer - which at the time was a lot less discreet than the clear guards we have these days - my teeth quickly moved back to their original position.
The problem here was that my jaws hadn't fully grown and we were told that an overbite or underbite would be possible after the braces were removed.
Obviously that happened for me, and I was blessed with a lovely underbite. *Note the sarcasm*
Since then, everything has been a shambles. There was constant dentist appointments where I was refused braces for a second time, until I was offered the idea of this surgery.
At the time, my wimpy 12 year old self said a solid 'NO'. No way was anyone cutting into my bones...
My parents and dentist urged me that I might change my mind when I got older and more bothered about my appearance and God, were they right!
As soon as I turned 13 and moved into Year 9 at school, things got worse. I was more aware that my jaw was different to everyone else. Lots of my friends were getting their first boyfriends and all these new friendship circles, but because I was so self-conscious about my jaw, I held myself back. I had a few close friends in school, which actually proved themselves otherwise and showed their true colours soon after. I was left with my two best friends and that was it.
I remember feeling horrible because I felt that I was holding them back from going off and making new friends, but they stuck with me through the entirety of school and college.

I think I should make it clear that I don't consider myself to have been 'bullied' in the traditional sense of the world. People didn't go out their way to make my life a misery, I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was called all types of things - Jaws, Bulldog, Ironing Board and even though the names hurt, I didn't blame the people that called me them. I blamed myself because I was the one with the messed up jaw after all. They were just saying what was true.
I got less confident and more miserable, and most of the time, I would pull my scarf or jumper over my mouth whilst walking around school.
It does make me emotional just thinking about how self-conscious I was. Even now that I've gained slightly more confidence, I'm still so aware of my jaw wherever I go.
I try to keep my hair down most of the time, so it hides my side profile and when I have to wear it up, I keep my chin down to my chest to hide my prominent bottom jaw. Needless to say, it's a nightmare!

When I was given the opportunity to have this surgery, I knew it was going to be a long process. Obviously, I was and am fully aware of how the whole procedure was going to work and that it's a pretty major surgery,which will result in me having a few months of pure discomfort. However, the thing that keeps pulling me through is thinking how I'm going to feel afterwards. From every blog and YouTube video I've come across, I know that all the discomfort and few months of my life which will be filled with liquid diets and wired jaws will eventually be worth it. I know I'll be finally happy with how I look, I'll be comfortable with getting photographs again and for the first time, I might even feel confident in myself!

So, that's all I really have to say on the matter so far. I apologize for the cliche-filled post you just endured but I promise the rest of my posts won't be so gooey and sentimental!

I have a pre-op appointment on May 16th, so I will be sure to update soon.
Until next time
x

3 comments:

  1. I had the same surgery last year because I had too many teeth in my mouth when I was younger and I developed a severe overbite. I know it can be scary, but when the surgery is done and you can move your mouth without pain, you will look back and be grateful you did it now.

    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ & Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people simply do not realize the issues you can experience when there is something wrong with your jaw such as teeth misalignment, jaw misalignment, wear and tear on your teeth and unbalance facial appearance. It is not always a cosmetic issue, as you mentioned. I am happy to hear you are going through with your surgery. Rest assured after the surgery you will feel more comfortable with yourself and I hope your new found confidence will soar.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are taking the step and getting the correction and reconstruction done. I cannot imagine what it is like to have to deal with a disfigurement every day. Especially when it effects, talking and eating which is one thing we cannot live without. I will cross all fingers that the procedure goes well and you are happy.

    Maricela Gauthier @ Dentist Newport Beach

    ReplyDelete